Sunday, November 22, 2015

Going Back to Haiti

This will be my third trip to Haiti since the devastation wrought by the earthquake in January 2010. Over a quarter of a million people died in a country of 10 million. Over 1.5 million were rendered homeless.

My first trip was in March 2010, only two months after the earthquake, and the people were still reeling from the death and destruction. I saw fear in the eyes of many mothers.  

During my second trip over Christmas 2012, the country somehow felt worse, if that could be possible. I saw resigned despair in their eyes. Sadness had replaced the fear.  

What will I see next month on the eve of the sixth anniversary of the earthquake? 

During the first two trips I worked in Port-au-Prince and Jacmel. With this trip I will work in the Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Deschapelles, a rural community of about 14,000 people. The hospital serves a population of about 300,000 mostly poor families.  




No comments:

Post a Comment